Wednesday, June 19, 2013

In The Garden...

Garden, June 2013

 This is how my vegetable garden looks today.  The space is approximately 45 x 60 feet.  This is the second season for my vegetable garden in this house.  Before it was tilled up, this little field was pasture to some horses.  The ground is amazingly (especially for this area) ROCK FREE!  This year's garden includes a ridiculous number (50) of tomato plants, about 100 running feet of green beans, several types of squash, cucumbers, and zucchini, several varieties of hot peppers, green peppers, kale, spinach, beets, watermelon, potatoes, and onions.  (I have great expectations for all those tomato and green bean plants.)

I got the garden in the ground later than normal this year, due to a cold and wet spring.  On Mothers Day, a neighbor came and tilled up the space for me.  By Thursday of that week, just about everything was planted.  Now, every day that it isn't raining, I find myself walking the aisles and rows, picking the little weeds and grasses trying to grow up through the straw mulch, inspecting each plant for signs of bugs (I'm thinking of Japanese Beetles, grrrrrrr...), and just trying to be patient and not panic. 

Now, some of the pretty flowers currently showing off in my yard...





 
 And finally, two "pets" who seem to have made permanent residence under our front porch:

Raven the Three Toed Box Turtle

Mr. Peepers

No comments:

Post a Comment